Thursday, July 23, 2009

If God Will Send His Angels

Having a blasphemy law enacted is a national embarrassment. Nobody should be free from ridicule - particularly those who believe in the concept of blasphemy. I'm pretty much agnostic about the existence of God, but I definitely do not believe that people who invoke His name know any more about His existence than I do and have any right to tell me what I can and cannot say about what they believe.

Ahern claims the constitution requires it... well so what? It's about bloody time that 1930s, DeV inspired, backward, conservative nonsense was ripped up and re-written from scratch.

On the other hand I have no objection to the use non-jury trials where juries could be intimidated or otherwise compromised. Prosecutions rest on evidence. The idea that justice is always better served when twelve random citizens are asked to assess the evidence is idealistic and wrong-headed in my view.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs