Tuesday, October 21, 2008

If Music Could Talk

It would need to come up with some good excuses.

I'm very disappointed with the music I have been buying recently. Earlier in the year I was picking up some great albums - Pete & The Pirates, Elbow, White Denim, Fleet Foxes, The Dodos, Foals, Blood Red Shoes, Born Ruffians... - but recently I just seem to be picking up duds.

First of all the new Hold Steady album just grates on my ears after a couple of songs - all plodding bluesrock with annoying vocals. The new Bloc Party album sounds like they recorded a normal album, then handed it over to some punter to remix badly and, for good measure, the vocals sound completely out of place with the rest of the music the whole way through.

Next up is Glasvegas - universally praised, uniformly shite. The third track 'It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry' is one of the most drawn out, tedious mono-paced tracks I've had the misfortune to purchase in years. Paul Weller's and Albert Hammond Jr's new albums have done nothing for me either. Only the new TV on the Radio album is worth making any effort for.

In fact a recently downloaded version of Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son is my favourite thing right now.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs