Monday, June 23, 2008

Another Time, Another Place

Today's Paddywhackery of the Day award goes to Deirdre Uí Bhrógáin from Dublin who writes in the Irish Times: "We hear repeatedly how the politicians who demanded a Yes vote "respect the decision of the Irish people", yet the direct opposite is the case. We have been harangued and insulted unremittingly since they lost. Brian Cowen, Micheál Martin, Enda Kenny and (particularly) Gay Mitchell are so angry that they have lost all restraint."

Harangued and insulted. Right.


I like the cut of this guy's jib, though:

"I voted Yes to Lisbon, and I'm fed up being patronised by the No side.

It's true that France and the Netherlands voted No to the European Constitution. But why is it that the Yes votes in Spain and Luxembourg are ignored? Are Yes voters somehow morally inferior? Yes voters are people too.

I'm tired of being told that the Irish people are being bullied. Being made aware of the consequences of one's decision is no more bullying than is telling someone who smokes that they may get cancer. Do the No lobby go around shouting at "Speed Costs Lives" signs to stop bullying them?

I'm tired of pandering to the neutrality lobby. Under the ridiculous triple-lock law which we brought in for them, we have effectively taken control of our own armed forces away from the Irish people and handed it to the Russians, Chinese and others through the UN Security Council. We have also shamefully told our friends in Europe that at the first sign of trouble we will run, and they needn't dream of thinking that we will stand by them. Short of promising to attack our EU friends, I don't know what more we can do to placate these people.

I'm tired of having Cóir/Youth Defence declare that they speak for ordinary decent Irish Catholics. I'm a Catholic; I try to live a decent life; and that bunch with their weird values sure as hell don't speak for me.

I'm tired of seeing right-wing Tory and UKIP politicians - who have, for example, pledged to abolish the EU social charter that ensures decent workers' rights - toasting us. I'm appalled to see that Sinn Féin has finally brought us back into place as John Bull's obedient little friend.

Finally, I'm mortified that we voted No to an EU that has been generous to us and understanding of our values. I don't believe we have to bow and scrape towards everything from Brussels, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I do believe in loyalty towards one's friends. Especially as they've always been loyal to us"
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs