Monday, January 28, 2008

What's My Name

Three times in the last week, just by flicking around, I've come across Richard Waghorne in the broadcast media. I've seen him on Prime Time on RTE1 (seriously pissing off Fintan O'Toole!), on Vinnie Browne's new yoke on TV3 and I heard him on Sam Smyth's The Sunday Supplement on Today FM yesterday. I believe he has a Mail column as well although it'll be a cold day in hell before I read that nonsense.

I'll be honest, I never expected that ego to make it past contrary blogger and into the mainstream. This is a guy, you see, who caused a mini blog furore when he claimed the London police were right to murder Jean Charles de Menezes before he knew even half the facts, then attempted to erase what he had written from the interweb in embarrassment.

I had kinda forgotten about him since then and since his Freedom Institute website ("Our proposed policies will make Ireland a better place to live."!!!) bit the dust. Back then I wondered then who took that guff seriously, well it would appear that, unfortunately, some people evidently do. RTE et al must be seriously stuck for new voices. I wonder if Dickie's path from contrary college politics to wannabe right-wing commentator is typical of how your average rent-an-opinion hack starts out?
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs