Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Acrobat

Apparently I'm 23% gay, according to Channel4' Gay-o-meter. I can live with that - straight with a sensitive, understanding side. I had to do it twice though. I was 33% gay the first time, but realised that, while I could spend €100 on a shirt, stg£100 is in fact an obscene amount to spend and also that I actually don't need to redecorate a flat when I move into it, just put loads of my stuff in it - which is clearly a different shark. I don't want to be one-third gay; one quarter is acceptable...

Loved the gigs last night. I felt Arctic Monkeys were guilty of blowing their load a bit early by playing their two best known tracks first. The crowd went nuts for them - beer was flying, crowd surges left and right and I haven't seen moshing and crowd-surfing like that in years. It was a great laugh, though I, as a more mature fellow, stood back to observe! Maximo Park were better, loads of energy, weird keyboard player and saved their best 'til last. My mate Pins, who was at the gig with me, was saying that he hadn't seen anything like it since being in the middle of a couple of hundred Dundalk lads going nuts at that Queen's gig years ago...

Round about October '93 I went to Queen's Belfast for an open day as a sixth year. All the college-capable Leaving Cert students, from all the schools in Dundalk, were sent up on buses that day - easily 400 or more 16 and 17-year olds. I remember you could spot the Protestant kids from the Catholic ones by the uniforms. I also remember the fact that the nordies were A-Level students made them all a couple of years older, so seeing that many 19-year old schoolgirls parading around was... well, y'know.

However, on realising that they had zero interest in a bunch of spotty 16-year old taigs from 'down there', we headed for the drink-free student union basement and proceeded to give it loads to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Roses, early Radiohead and whatever else was de rigeur at the time. The nordies, who obviously took their education a little more seriously than us, stared at us in amazement through the fire doors, which had been opened to cool the place down. By the time we got back to our buses to head south (3pm or so in the afternoon) half of us had lost jumpers, torn our shirts or got cut and bruised somehow. Memories!...
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs