Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

My trips to Mass are restricted to Christmas, Easter and funerals (I don't do weddings!). But the Christmas service in my home parish is usually quite decent. Last year's child-centred service wasn't repeated. Instead the priest focused his sermon on the search for spirituality in lives left cold and empty by the material world we live in.

He spoke about the lyrics to the song You Raise Me Up written by Brendan Graham and how he was friendly with the girl the song was originally written for. He then said that she told him that the song was about more than his (Graham's) love for her - that it had a spiritual aspect too (to be honest I found it hard to believe a priest needed to be told there was 'deeper' meaning in the lyrics)...

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;
When troubles come and my heart burdened be;
Then I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... to more than I can be.

Unfortunately, the context of the sermon was that he was reminded of the song after receiving a gift of the new Westlife CD for Christmas from a parishioner. All I could think was "Jaysus Father! Way to alienate this catholic!!..."
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs