Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Colleague

I've just got back to the desk from a yankee swap thingummy. The gist of it was that about 30 of the local staff bought $10 gifts, ordered in pizza for lunch and proceeded to swap gifts. The twist is that your name is drawn out of a hat and you select a wrapped gift. You unwrap it on the spot and can then opt to keep it or swap it for a previously unwrapped gift selected by someone else earlier. The first person drawn wouldn't get a chance to swap so they get the pick of all the gifts at the end. Therefore, from the second person onwards, your choice improves.

Both myself and Lenny bought engraveable New England Patriots (Go Pats!) mugs, which both came out of the hat early - both picked by women, neither of whom are from New England. Anyway, as bloke after bloke unwrapped things like lamps and chocolates, they all went for the mugs - so the mugs changed hands seven or eight times each. Bizarrely me and Lenny were the last two up. I got a voucher, which is of no use to me seeing as I'm finished here tomorrow, so I swapped it for a "You Might Be A Redneck If..." calendar; a) because I wanted something small and b) because Rick, the guy who had it, is sound, had been gutted to lose the Pats mug, and had been gagging to get rid of it.

Lenny, on the other hand, was well unimpressed with the selection on offer. So he swapped what he got (some kind of travel puzzle game) for his own mug back! Rick just looked at him and goes "Jeez, Lenny, dirty pool is one thing but dirty yankee swapping?!..." So I've just brow-beaten Lenny into heading over to Rick and swapping the mug for the voucher. Rick's delighted (he just rang the guy who took it off him, and later lost it, to give him abuse) and now we have a $10 Dunkin' Donuts voucher, which we'll use to get a box of donuts for everyone for coffee break in the morning as it's our last day. I'm not good at much, but I usually know my audience...
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs