Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Dreadlock Holiday*

Number Crunching
'Police estimate that 25,000 fans packed Trafalgar Square as the England cricket team brought home the Ashes' - Sky Sports News.

'They kept the party going yesterday as more than 100,000 packed Trafalgar Square to hail the bleary-eyed stars' - The Sun.

'The tired and emotional England cricket team received an ecstatic welcome in Trafalgar Square yesterday where 250,000 people celebrated the long-awaited return of the Ashes' - The Daily Telegraph.

'Coach Duncan Fletcher last night admitted he was blown away by England's "passion" for beating the Aussies after half a million fans turned out to salute his Ashes heroes' - The Daily Mirror.

Non-Football Quote Of The Day
"I’m ugly, I’m overweight - but I'm happy. What's most exciting about winning the Ashes is it means I will get the freedom of Preston, my home town. That means I can drive a flock of sheep through the town centre, drink for free in no less than 64 pubs and get a lift home with the police when I become inebriated. What more could you want?" - The greatest living Englishman, Freddie Flintoff.

All knicked from football365.

I actually like cricket and have done since I was sick in bed one summer as a kid back when RTE didn't come on air until the mid afternoon and the choice was either the cricket or black and white movies. I learned all the rules and got to know the players. Inexplicably, Steve Waugh of Australia became my favourite player right up until he retired last year after I watched him smack 177 not-out against England in one particular match (up 'til then it had been Merv Hughes with his crazy 19th Century 'tache and his brilliantly named "leg-break" delivery).

I prefer World Cup cricket to Test matches but in the latter four of the five tests the final days have been really tense affairs. Gut wrenching tension for hours on end - it really had to be watched to be fully experienced. Watching Shane Warne drag Australia to a draw in the 3rd Test with the bat, when England seemingly had it in the bag, was amazing stuff. As a result of this summer's series, for the first time ever, I don't get ridiculed (as badly) for admitting I like the game.

*10cc's Dreadlock Holiday - "I don't like cricket, oh no, I love it..."
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs