Friday, June 17, 2005

A Sort Of Homecoming

I'm currently sat in the business lounge in JFK Airport waiting for my delayed flight back to Shannon in Ireland. It looks like I'll be leaving at 9 p.m. local time (about 3 hours from now) and landing at about 8:15 a.m. Irish time. I'm sinking wine to try and make me sleep on the flight because normally I just can't sleep on planes and I want to drive to Dundalk (160 odd miles) when I land. I've bought Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond to keep myself entertained for the next ten hours or so. I've also just bought two Litres Smirnoff blue label for $27 and two tins of Ghirardelli chocolates for $33. Something odd there wouldn't you think...

Speaking of Ghirardelli chocolates (made in San Francisco), when I posted the other day (14th) I'd forgotten it was eight years to the day since I had flown to San Francisco to begin my J1 summer of mayhem. In the mid-90s every student seemed to head for the States for a summer but I think interest has waned in recent years. I'll never forget that summer though - I had the time of my life and fell in love with the States (California and Hawaii anyway). A drink fuelled nostalgia buzz is kicking in as I type. I turned 28 on Wednesday 15th too, which has added to it all. I spent June 15th 1997 lying absolutely shagged out on the floor with jet-lag while my buddies (six of us shared a 1-room apartment on Jones/Geary near Union Square for $100 each per month) celebrated on my behalf; whereas June 15th 2005 was spent lying shagged out with jet-lag in a $250 per-night Marriott hotel room following a 10-hour meeting...

Everyone is glued to the TV at the moment - a chopper has just crashed into the East River here in New York near the UN building...
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Irish Blogs